Monday, April 13, 2009

On the beach


We're out on the shore away from the campground
Texas beaches are considered roads
you can drive all 60 miles of beach down the island.

At 10mph, we drove 10.5 miles and stopped.



Far enough, I hoped, to be out of sight of others
staying the night
so I could swim naked in the sea.
 
And camping on the beach is free. 
No bath but the ocean
no drinking water but what you bring 
and all the dunes for a litter box
and still the constant wind.

Today the sun, at last, blistering.
We need an awning.
Sand gets in everywhere. 

Sanderlings skitter along the shore 
spending as much time chasing each other away as pursuing 
the delicacies each wave reveals.
Crabs scuttle about, redigging their sand dens
every time the turtle patrol dune buggy
or another fisher truck bounces over them.

No sea turtles yet, though we keep hoping.

This day for the first time begins to feel like I imagined this trip would be
not driving
just being


thinking
sorting
ruminating
playing
exploring
drinking in the wonders 
of the world

(even through my old spare glasses
that make me feel cross-eyed)

I haven't painted yet
too windy here
- my shade umbrella took off down the beach
acting as a sail skidding along the water
we had to run at top speed to chase it down
before Poseidon made off with that, too -
but I take pictures 
all the time
and try to remember the names of all the new birds we learned

Of all the birds I have seen here
I could want to be a brown pelican


unlike the whites
they get to dive
for food, and fly in formation
in snaking rollercoaster patrols,
or hang out on their own
versatile
adventurous
graceful

No comments:

Post a Comment