Thursday, June 10, 2010

A Brief Dip into the Canyon


Yesterday I hiked a small section of Bright Angel Trail, down into the Canyon. I got to the 1 1/2 mile rest point, where it was 90 in the shade, and decided that was far enough. Down was fairly easy. Up was murder. Took me 50 minutes down and 2 1/2 hours up. Heat and I really don't get along. Phantom Ranch will have to wait. (Pictures tomorrow; I left the camera in the car & don't feel like retrieving it.)

A few days ago I met D & J, a couple of full-time RVers who camped near me for the past 3 nights. They are the sweetest people; we swapped books we were done with, and exchanged stories of the road. They fed me dinner (I love it when people feed me) and told me about amazon.com's seasonal camper work, Oct - Dec, in 3 different states. They pay for your campsite with full hookups. The pay is probably standard for the work (stocking, packing, receiving) which is to say lousy, but I find the idea intriguing. A new form of migrant work. More stories. I put in an app; who knows if anything will come of it. D & J took off today, but I hope I run into them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment