Friday, June 4, 2010

First Hike Along the South Rim


I hiked along the rim yesterday, from the Hermit’s Rest Transfer Point to Mohave Point and back. About 4.6 miles rt.

This stamina thing clearly needs work.

There are better views here than farther east.

From Hopi Point:
From Grand Canyon June 2010

A Glimpse of the Colorado River:
From Grand Canyon June 2010

Saw my first California Condor, wheeling over the Rim.

I called a couple of people from the rim - cell phones work there - and even managed to send one a picture taken with the iphone. That was fun.

Stumbled home in exhaustion, ate my big dinner of mashed potatoes, canned salmon, and broccoli, and passed out.

Still tired this morning, but I did get moving, and will take the bus to Hermit’s Rest and hike back in as far as I can - I hope the whole 8 miles, but there are a couple of bus stops along the way if I need them. The Shuttle Bus system here is most useful, and very well designed.

1 comment:

  1. A week or so ago, a friend sent me a photo of a condor hovering in a thermal at Big Sur. I guess the species is doing rather better than it was a coupla decades ago.

    ReplyDelete