Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Cheese Mountains of the Moon

(As always, click on a slideshow to see larger versions at PicasaWeb; also, sometimes the captions are out of sync with the images in the blog)

Yay! Found wifi! The signal in the library in Las Cruces or somewhere around there (they're starting to blur; must keep better notes) crapped out on me. In Albuquerque now; much glorious scenery and internally productive time lately. New Mexico is indescribable. Here are some pix; more coming in a few days.

Sitting Bull Falls
an oasis
in the mountains
moss and diamond drops
and pools
bluer than blue




White Sands - pictures don't start to do it justice, and words even less so

this alien sahara in our midst
where we sled down sand
whiter than snow
get lost among ever-moving dunes
glaciers of dust
ringed by far-off mountains
and clouds
trudge through the drifts
to the source of the whiteness
let it scour skin
(let - ha! try to stop it)
and abrade reason
until there is only
mound upon cloud upon mound
curves
ridges
the occasional reptile
if I lay down here
how long would it take
to make me disappear?
a day
or less
but I stay on the surface
sliding down in my purple saucer
kin to the little Aga in Wallace and Grommit
that always wanted to ski
and finally did
on the cheese mountains of the moon.

this place was magic
like none I have seen so far
I will come back
with a polarizing filter
and tripod
and twilight
or dawn

but for now, this is a pallid reflection of what I saw:



No comments:

Post a Comment