Friday, June 12, 2009

Afternoon in Santa Fe


If one ignores the wrong turns
I made a bee-line 
for the Georgia O'Keefe Museum.
Some pieces I had not seen before
though my favorite watercolor
of a train engine
was not in evidence.

Returning to the plaza (way too many cars there)
I passed the Art Museum


it's free on Friday nights, so I will return then.
(The curves of adobe remind me of Gaudi)

Browsed the nearly empty shops
too many going out of business
the streets crowded with cars
but lightly peopled

In search of a bakery 
I stumbled instead 
into a courtyard
where I found this:

a sculpture by Dwight Hume
(who just died this week, I discovered later, dammit)

A lovely talk with Daniel Bethune
the owner of Gallery Chartreuse
and this sweet service dog

and I floated back to my car in a daze of beauty.

Leaving town, I u-turned into a parking lot that advertised
long windshield crack repairs
an hour and a companionable conversation later
my windshield cracks 
(courtesy of a large truck 
and a sizeable chunk of gravel
a month ago)
are rebonded and smooth,
still visible, as I expected,
but no longer likely to expand or leak.
$40 well spent.

Back to Coronado Campground
to lie fallow in the rain
all the next day
absorbing wonders
and painting the wall

My backyard.


3 comments:

  1. Oh, that sounds like a wonderful day, Tanith. And your backyard is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been over a month since you've posted, Tanith -- I hope all is well.

    Phil

    ReplyDelete