Sunday, March 8, 2009

Five states in one day, Part 1: Illinois


Unwinding the spiral.
I rolled over my first car
in Rockford 19 years ago -
just passing through now.

homeless hitchhikers along the highway
already
couldn't give them a ride
even if I wanted to
(which I don't)
I removed the backseat
to make more room for stuff
too much stuff

It's not real yet
too many trips between 
Mpls and Mequon lately.
this feels like just one more.

Random city names
Coffeeville
Rend Lake
Lick Creek
Ina
Yazoo City

The strains of 
Once More with Feeling
Into the Woods
and my dance playlist
keep us awake

this sterile white cell
of a Motel 6 in Marion IL
cinder block walls
stark shiny paint
even on the ceiling
no art, but there are beds, 
though not the cleanest, 
and we can be flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment